Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Slow cooker Moo Shu Pork

With two babies, the crock pot has become my new best friend. Throw dinner in during the morning between feedings, naps, and diaper changes and Tah-dah! it's ready when the hubby arrives home. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! What's not to like?

I've been trying out a few new recipes meant for the crock pot from the website for Americanbaby. (Don't really like the magazine, but I somehow got on their mailing list and they send a freebie every once in awhile to try and get me to purchase a subscription. Hasn't worked yet, but the website is free. )

So here's one that actually worked and we enjoyed:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup hoison sauce
  • 3 large cloves minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 bag shredded coleslaw mix
  • 1/2 (10 0z) bag shredded carrots
  • 3/4 pound boneless pork loin chops
  • 12 flour tortillas
  • scallions (optional)

1. Stir together top five ingredients; set aside.

2. Put coleslaw mix and carrots in crock pot; cover with pork chops cut into 1/8 inch slices. Drizzle with 1/4 cup hoison sauce mixture. Cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 4 hours.

3. Stir in remaining hoison sauce. Serve on tortillas. Top with scallions.

Confession - I didn't exactly follow the directions. Chopped cabbage replaced the coleslaw; googled "hoison sauce" to make it; chopped up some not so pretty pork chops into chunks rather than slices. The homemade hoison sauce had peanut butter in it (*gasp* yes, I know) so while cooking it smelled like burnt p.b. to me. Horror! But it turned out good in the end. So stick to it even if it doesn't look/smell quite normal. It's worth it in the end. And the scallions just added a nice something to it.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay! Thanks for adding to the blog! Sounds delish! And please tell me you stole that pic from their website so I don't feel bad about my crappy cupcake picture. Looks like I need to take a food photography class!

Kali said...

Of course I stole the picture. Mine would never, ever turn out that good!