Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cheesefada

This post must start with a disclaimer: I have no idea how to spell the name of this dish! We have just spelled it as it sounded.
We originally enjoyed this breakfast dish in Idaho, when Kurt Johnson made it for us. I understand that it is a Hungarian dish that was passed down in his family. Of course everything tastes better at Grandpa's cabin, but this tasted great when we attempted it at home, too. The best description that I have heard for this dish is "scrambled pancakes".

4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 TBS baking powder
1/3 cup butter
2 eggs, separated
milk

Melt butter in a large fry pan and set aside. Beat egg whites to form stiff peaks; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Beat in egg yolks, melted butter, and enough milk to form a consistency of very thick pancake batter. Finally, fold in whipped egg whites and pour into the hot fry pan with melted butter. Cook like scrambled eggs, turning and breaking the mixture as it cooks. Serve with syrup, fruit, milk or just as-is.
We have also had success with whole wheat flour; it adds a deliciously nutty taste.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Oooh, I've never made this for Scott. I wonder if he's had them at your house? Have you ever had it with syrup? 'Cause I think I need to try!