Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Apple Squares


Most criminally delicious use of fruit...since Kali's peach upside down cake, that is. ;) This is my take on a recipe from allrecipes.com. I doubled the apples from their recipe (and I think I might go crazy and quadruple the apples next time), replaced walnuts with pecans, and added only half the cinnamon sugar. Here's my variation:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 brown sugar
  • 1/2 white sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup apple, chopped
  • 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp white sugar (for topping)
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x9 pan. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Add in the egg and vanilla extract. Blend in the mixture of dry ingredients until just combine, then add apples and pecans. Spread mixture evenly in greased pan. Combine the remaining cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the top.
3. Bake for 25-30 minutes until bars spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan and cut into squares.

I may or may not have had these for breakfast this morning. Okay, I did. And they were delicious! I also think these would we awesome with whole wheat.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I tried this with peaches instead of apples, it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

Jessica said...

Aw man, I just tried it with quaduple the apples (double the amount in this version of the recipe) and it was awesome!