Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tomato Pie

I did an Intranet search recently for recipes that used lots of tomatoes because my little tomato plants had produced a bunch at once. This tomato pie recipe was my favorite. I used early girl and taxi tomatoes and it was DELICIOUS! Because of all the water in the tomatoes I found that it did not preserve too well. I ended up cooking the leftover slices for another 10 minutes or so to try to get rid of some of the juices and I think that helped, but I would make sure to finish the leftovers no later than the next day. I hope you enjoy this recipe next season when your gardens are full of yummy tomatoes!

Ingredients

  • 1 (9 inch) pie shell
  • 7 ripe tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used a little more than 1/3 cup)
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 teaspoons fresh basil
  • 2 teaspoons fresh oregano

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Bake the pastry shell for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned.
  3. Slice onion and place in the bottom of pastry shell. Slice tomatoes and arrange over onions. Add black pepper to taste.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella, parmesan and mayonnaise. Spread this mixture evenly over tomatoes.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooked, garnish with fresh herbs.

1 comment:

Kali said...

Yummy! I'll have to remember this one for next summer's tomatoes!