Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chocolate Sugar Cookies

I forgot to take pictures of the finished product on this one,
but here are our chocolate sugar cookies in pre-baked form.

Last week, I had a hankering to try out my snazzy new cookie cutter set. What cookie cutter set, you ask? This one:


Thanks dapper Joe for your lovely modeling. ;) Jen gave me a sweet 101 cookie cutter set for my birthday, so we tried it out one Friday afternoon. I wanted to do cookies, but I'm admittedly not a big fan of sugar cookies, which led to discovery of the Chocolate Sugar Cookie. Amazing!! They're like brownies, but in cookie form.

I found this recipe on the Joy of Baking website, which I wasn't familiar with but Jen tells me is fabulous. I can certainly vouch for this recipe!

Chocolate Sugar Cookies:
2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 c. granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

  1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
  2. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes). Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat until you have a smooth dough.
  3. Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about one hour or until firm enough to roll.
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in the center of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  5. Remove one half of the chilled dough from the refrigerator and on a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Cut out desired shapes using a lightly floured cookie cutter and transfer cookies to the prepared baking sheet. Place the baking sheets with the unbaked cookies in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes to chill the dough which prevents the cookies from spreading and losing their shape while baking.
  6. Bake cookies for about 10-12 minutes (depending on size) or until they're firm around the edges. Remove the oven and let cookies cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
The only thing I would add is I would highly recommend adjusting the cooking time. Go 8-10 minutes instead, so they're soft and chewy instead of crispy around the edges. So good!


No comments: