Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lemon Chicken Soup


The inspiration for this one came from watching Giada De Laurenttis on the Food Network Channel. She made a lemon chicken soup with carrots and parsley, but I had loftier ideas for lemon chicken soup, so I like to think of this one as a Jesse original. This recipe makes four generous portions.
  • 6 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
  • Juice of 4 lemons*
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 3 oz spaghetti, broken into 2 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
  • 4 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
In a large pot, add chicken broth, lemon juice, and bay leaves. On med/high heat, add whole chicken breasts and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the pot and add the spaghetti. Using two forks, shred the chicken while the spaghetti cooks 4-5 minutes. Add the chicken back in when the pasta is tender. Stir in basil and spinach and cook just until spinach is wilted. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.

I don't usually poach chicken, but in the chicken stock and lemon juice, it becomes super moist and savory. This recipe is quick, easy, and healthy. Try it, love it, then tell me how brilliant I am. ;)

*I like LEMON chicken soup. If you're not that into the lemon flavor, I'd just go with a couple lemons.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Looks like your lemon and chicken combination worked much better than mine!
Can't wait to try it!

Annie Stewart said...

I wish I had looked at this before I went shopping today so I could have bought lemons and basil. I have the feeling we'll be trying this one very soon! It looks amazing.